The mission of the San Francisco Association of REALTORS® is to provide programs, products and services to its REALTOR® members that will assist them in increasing productivity and realizing success in the real estate business, and to create a regulatory and legal environment conducive to the practice of real estate brokerage.
The San Francisco Association of REALTORS® (formerly the San Francisco Real Estate Board) was founded as a nonprofit association on February 6, 1905, when 33 of San Francisco's leading real estate agents adopted a constitution and bylaws. The Association antedates both the National Association of REALTORS® (formerly the National Association of Real Estate Boards) and the California Association of REALTORS® (formerly the California Real Estate Association). It was active in the formation of both of these organizations.
Prior to the organization of the Association, chaotic conditions existed in the real estate business in San Francisco, reflecting similar conditions elsewhere. In order to deal more effectively with such problems, responsible traders of real estate in San Francisco established rules of conduct governing relations between brokers and the public. Later, the California Real Estate Act was enacted, while, on the national level, the National Association developed a Code of Ethics governing relations among brokers throughout the country.
With the passage of time, new conditions brought about the need for a change in the Association's organization. On July 29, 1949, 44 years after its establishment, the San Francisco Association of REALTORS® was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of the State of California. The corporation continues to be known as the San Francisco Real Estate Board, although it adopted the dba San Francisco Association of REALTORS® in 1994. Throughout its 103-year existence, the Association has enjoyed a distinguished history of accomplishment. Today, representing more than 5,000 real estate professionals in the San Francisco area, the Association welcomes the opportunity to provide continued service to its members, the community and the public at large.